Initiated by town Librarian, Martha Wright, the Historical Society of Hammonton was formally organized on November 29, 1960. Its original purpose was to preserve Hammonton’s history by the collection of civil, political and religious artifacts.
A Certificate of Incorporation for the Historical Society of Hammonton was filed on March 4, 1965. Signers on that document include Elsie L. Layer, Charles B. Miller, Earl J. Rehmann, Irma L. Tilton and Martha K. Wright.
In August of 1968, the Society received tax exempt status under code 501 (c) 3 of the Internal Revenue Service.
The HSH Museum, located at 333 Vine Street, has a rich and varied history. Built in 1887, the building served as Town Hall, was moved and remodeled as a Town Library, used as a Public School Kindergarten, and finally became home to the Historical Society of Hammonton for housing its artifacts and as a site for the Society’s monthly meetings.
The Historical Society of Hammonton remains true to the goals established more than 45 years ago while still keeping an eye on the current times and future. In 2005 it experienced an exciting revitalization. In 2006 President Kristin Colasurdo’s group began the second phase, bringing us up to technological snuff. Today the community segment of its monthly meetings are well attended, sometimes so much so, the meeting’s venue needs to be changed to allow more space to accommodate the filled-to-capacity crowd.
download A Self Guided Historic Walking Trail of Hammonton